Today I’m talking with Mark Strathdee, founder of Sherpa Digital Media, a video platform designed to engage and entertain your audience. Think of a webinar platform that’s engaging. Mark and I talk about some of his daily habits, notebooks, and how COVID-19 has made Sherpa insanely busy.
Today I’m talking with Mark Strathdee, founder of Sherpa Digital Media, a video platform designed to engage and entertain your audience. Think of a webinar platform that’s engaging and catered to the individual. Mark and I talk about some of his daily habits, notebooks, his background in journalism, and how COVID-19 has made Sherpa insanely busy.
We discuss the history of video and how it’s changed over the last ten years. As an example, YouTube has taught us that content does not need to be perfect to make an impact. Everyone can have a voice and that voice can come from anywhere. His passion is to make tools for people to find and share their voice.
We talk about why he still likes quality journalism as well as the importance of being responsible for using your voice and influence. Now more than ever, COVID-19 is accelerating the move to more media experiences that are customized and streamed right into your living room.
Attention is the most valuable commodity that media creators need to try and capture. At Sherpa, they use Artificial Intelligence to look for trends and opportunities to craft a unique experience for individuals that are looking for information about a brand or product.
Mark uses physical notebooks and time management to make sure that he’s working on the right things. In particular, he likes to write down the night before what he has to do the next day so that he’s focused on that instead of the 100’s of emails in his inbox. Mark does not want his inbox to dictate his day. He also uses his notebook as something that’s just for him and will not distract him when he’s creating something in it.
Now, let’s get better together.
Actions to Try or Advice to Take
- Time management is all about where your boundaries are. You need to manage your endless todo list.
- Literally schedule the time to turn off your work and remind you to spend time with those you love.
- Write down your next day’s focus: Before bed, write down what you need to focus on the next day and what you are concerned about. Then, focus on that before you read any email.
- An email is a communication tool (kinda cold) as opposed to a physical notebook that allows you to use your free hand to create something for you and only you.
- Read a physical book at night: A physical book is for you and only you. It won’t distract you and will calm your mind.
- There are no distractions in your notebook. Your notebook is only for you.
- Get out and walk the dog in the fresh air and leave your phone behind.
- Sherpa takes a consultative approach and they never demo during the first contact. This takes longer to work with Sherpa but this allows them to figure out what keeps them up at night.
- Video and live events are stressful and unique moments in time for most people and that makes it fearful. Sherpa wants to reduce that.