Today on the podcast, I interview DJ DiDonna entrepreneur and author. We talk about why sabbaticals are a powerful tool for both companies and individuals. I met DJ at the Story Grid Nonfiction workshop in Nashville right before the COVID-19 shutdown.
Today on the podcast, I interview DJ DiDonna entrepreneur and author. We talk about why sabbaticals are a powerful tool for both organizations and individuals. I met DJ at the Story Grid Nonfiction workshop in Nashville, TN right before the COVID-19 shelter in place.
DJ’s journey to taking a sabbatical goes directly through his experience as an entrepreneur and the struggles he had with burn out. We explore the benefits of a sabbatical and some surprising data on who takes them. He is also working on a book from the findings of the research collected from the Sabbatical Project, an organization that’s looking to champion the idea that sabbaticals add a lot of value to both people and organizations. His research has revealed, among other things, that sabbaticals are not only for the privileged but can benefit all sorts of people.
We also talk about how a life disruption gives us the same type of perspective as a sabbatical and in some cases, that’s too late to do anything about. That’s why he wants to change the culture surrounding sabbaticals and get more people to take them.
Now. Let’s get better, together.
Actions to Try or Advice to Take
- Sabbaticals, defined as “extended time spent intentionally off of routine work.”
- Imposter Syndrome: Even wildly successful people still don’t think that their doing is good enough.
- Your’s family orientation towards work has a big impact on how you view work and whether or not you’ll take a sabbatical.
- The big question to answer is how do you approach work and is this the work I want to do?
- Functional Workaholic: Like an alcoholic, you don’t know you’re one while you are living in it. It takes stepping back to see it.
- Sabbaticals are not just for privileged people. Nonprofits are increasingly giving sabbaticals to their team to fight burnout and as a perk.
- You can save for a sabbatical just like you save for a vacation.